Friday, September 30, 2016

Pattern Review: My Childhood Treasures Peasant Top

When I got my new sewing machine a few months ago, I decided to try it out on a new pattern. The machine had me in tears, but the project sure turned out cute!

The Pattern: Natalie Peasant Top

I have a little girl who has been a bit jealous of all the things I've been making for other people.  So when I saw the pattern for this sweet little peasant top, I knew it was the one to fill the need. 


This pattern is just 2 pieces, the main body and the sleeves.  It has options for long or short sleeves, and the short sleeves can be a puffed sleeve like I chose to make, or a flutter sleeve.  The instructions come with loads of details and pictures.  It's also sold in baby sizes, but this one comes with sizes 2-10.  

When I was a teenager and young adult, garment patterns were only available from the fabric store, printed in all the sizes on the same piece or pieces of tissue paper.  The sizes were never true, and it was a monster to try and cut out the size you wanted, while still preserving the pattern so that you could use it again in other sizes.  The instructions could be hard to follow, and used technical terminology and markings that made it tough to assemble the garments unless you'd had sewing classes.  And even then, it could be daunting.  (Obviously, those patterns are still what's sold at the fabric store.)  My mom told me that she once heard an interview with a representative from one of "the big three" pattern manufacturers.  He said, "we sell dreams," meaning that the patterns weren't exactly designed for real-life use, but for drooling over.  Like a really expensive Pinterest board.

Indie sewing has changed all that, to my great relief.  The movement of independent designers has made it possible to buy patterns that are generally true to size, with easy-to-follow instructions, and patterns are instantly downloadable to your computer, so you're able to print and cut them as many times as you need.  They're actually made for average humans to use.

This pattern worked out in just that way.  It was so simple, that it kept me from returning my sewing machine!  (Fortunately, I have since developed a better relationship with my machine, so it's a good thing I started out with an easy project like this!)


There were lots of clear instructions, accompanied by excellent photos.  The instructions were broken up in a sort of step-by-step grid, which made it easy for my tired brain to stay on task and work in the correct order.  The little blouse worked up very quickly, even with my confusion over my machine.



Even now, this is my daughter's favorite shirt, and I find myself washing it constantly.  It was true to size, and I love that the design makes it adjustable (I could make it longer if I choose), with lots of sleeve options.  I also loved the elastic neck and arm bands, which have helped it keep its fit, even as she's gone through a growth spurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment