Friday, September 30, 2016

Pattern Review: My Green Cloth "Curves"

*I'm playing a bit of catch-up with posts like this one, that I'd started months ago, but then got too sick to finish.  Hopefully I can get caught up before the baby comes in a few weeks.

This pattern turned out a pad that ended up being a gift.  I'm actually a little disappointed that I gave it away, because I'd really like to try it out in real life, not just the sewing!

The Shop: MyGreenCloth
The Pattern: Curves


In a previous post, I reviewed another pattern by this designer, Courtney, and described the interaction with her, which was great.  There had been a mix-up with a pdf, and she very generously accommodated me.  I decided to buy all of the patterns she has in her shop (there are three).  So this was the next one that I tried.  



Once again, the pattern was easy to print and assemble.  And once again, the instructions for including a hidden PUL layer were a bit muddled to me.  There is a set of instructions there for it, but they are short, with very few pictures, and those pictures don't explain just how to do it very well.  


For some reason, I found the angles of the curves on this pad a little difficult to navigate.  You can see how they are more of a rounded corner than a nice, easy-to-sew curve.  But I found that if I just slowed down a little, it wasn't a problem.  It turned out to make a great shape, although not a fast pad to work up.  So again, maybe not the best pattern to use for your very first pad, but it would be great once you get the hang of pad-making and are ready to try something new.

One thing I do really love about the MyGreenCloth patterns is Courtney's method for assembling and stitching the core.  It's a method that saves a lot of time, because you don't have to cut out each individual layer, one at a time.  It also helps prevent the layers from slipping around and distorting the shape, which is a problem I've had before.  So this is now my preferred core assembly method.
This pad works up to be about 3" across and (if I remember right - curse me for giving it away before measuring!) about 10.5" long.  That's a little wider than what I would wear as a day-to-day pad, but will be great for me as an overnight or during the daytime for postpartum.

No comments:

Post a Comment