Thursday, June 16, 2016

Applique Onesies

My crafting goes in topic spurts. Although I've mostly been working away getting ready for my baby's arrival, there are still gifts to be made! 

This morning I made these little guys for my cousin and friend:

This was the first time I've made applique onesies, but they've been on my mind to try out for a while. They were darn easy!  That's good for me, because I end up with lots of baby gifts to make.

There are lots of tutorials and patterns on YouTube and Pinterest. You basically just cut out the shape in a double-sided fusible interfacing, iron it onto the fabric of your choice, cut that out, and then iron the fabric onto the onesie.  You can topstitch the pieces down like I did here if you want. It's not necessary, because let's be real - how many times is the baby actually going to wear these before he outgrows them? But I like how the contrasting-colored stitching makes the applique stand out. (You can't see it very well in the picture, but I used white thread on that blue and white fabric.)

I found the pattern for these little ties here.  And here is a bloggy tutorial.

The online pattern has two sizes, a 3-6 month and a 2T.  I didn't love how thin the smaller tie was, so I just shortened the larger one by an inch. I also trimmed the top portion just a bit to make a more concave shape to fit the neckline of the onesie. Easy-peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment