Wednesday, June 15, 2016

How-To Videos: RUMPs

I started making my own cloth, reusable menstrual pads last year. If it's something you're interested in, it's really very easy to do if you have some basic supplies and sewing skills. And if you're just learning to sew, it's a good project to learn on.  (The pads in this photo were made using a pattern by Versodile, which is available on Etsy.  I'll be doing a review on the pattern at some point.)


As I looked into the idea, there were some videos that I watched that really gave me the confidence I needed to get started. And since then, I have come across a few more that have really helped me to improve my technique, speed, and create more "finished" pads. I'm listing the videos here that have been the biggest help to me.

These first few are by Amy Nix.  I love her.  She has several Facebook groups that you can join for support and information on the topic.  If you look her up on YouTube, you'll see that she has loads of videos about materials, tips, and using upcycled items from around the house if you don't want to invest in any specialty fabrics yet.  These are just the 3 that got me started.

How to make your own basic symmetrical pad pattern:

How to make your own asymmetrical pad pattern:

How to sew your own pad:

Okay, these next videos have helped me take it up a notch.  I started out using flannel and a hidden PUL layer, like Amy demonstrates.  Since then, I have been trying out some higher end fabrics (more exotic I guess), that are harder to work with.  I also wanted to increase my speed and although I've been happy with what I was making in the beginning, I wanted to see if I could make something of a more professional quality.  The videos put out by Courtney of Versodile really helped me with those goals.  And here those are:







Of course, Courtney has more videos, but these were the three that have really helped me out the most.

I hope these are as helpful for you as they have been for me!  Questions?  Ask away.

No comments:

Post a Comment